This easy & quick Mexican street corn dip is the BEST way to satisfy your corny cravings! Not only does this recipe only takes 10-minutes, but it doesn't even require turning on your stove or oven!
Why is it that "street food" is always the best?
Street tacos, churros, falafel, and the plethora of Asian street food.
Probably because of the authenticity and insane flavors that come from such simple and cheap ingredients. Plus, they're usually handheld, which is just way more fun!
What You'll Need:
- ½ Large Red Onion
- 2 15oz. Cans of Whole Kernel Sweet Corn
- 1 tablespoon of Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Jalapeño, Seeds and Stem Removed
- ¼ Cup Vegan Greek Yogurt
- ½ Cup Vegan Mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon (each) Chili Powder, Smoked Paprika, Coriander, and Cumin
- 1 Cup Vegan Colby Jack Cheese (or Cheddar)
- ⅓ Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro
How to Make Mexican Street Corn
Seriously, you will not believe how simple this recipe is. All you need is a cutting board, a knife, and a large bowl. No pots, pans, or heat required!
First, Prepare the Street Corn Ingredients
Begin by draining two 15 ounce cans of whole kernel corn. No need to rinse the corn, but ensure that it is not too wet from the can.
Dice half of a large red onion.
Slice one (or more if you prefer spicier) jalapeño longways. Remove the stem and all of the inside seeds as well as the "spine" on the inside of the jalapeño. Slice each half of the jalapeño into long strips. Then, chop into small diced pieces.
To juice the lime, the most effective way is to first press down and roll the lime against a hard surface until it becomes slightly squishy. This will make it much juicier! Juice by hand or with a citrus juicer. Juice at least 1 tablespoon.
Chop some fresh cilantro leaves. Set aside.
Next, Combine the Initial Ingredients
In a large bowl, add the drained corn, the diced red onion, and the jalapeño. Stir this with a tablespoon of lime juice and let it sit for a few minutes. This will lessen the harshness of the bite from the onion and jalapeno.
Finally, Combine Remaining Ingredients
To the same bowl with the corn, add the vegan yogurt, the vegan mayonnaise, vegan colby jack cheese, all of the seasonings, and the chopped cilantro.
Stir thoroughly until very well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly!
Pair with chips or use it as a side dish or a topping for tacos!
Thankfully, this Mexican street corn dip uses pretty simple and straightforward ingredients, so there isn't much that would need a substitute!
The biggest hurdle is the vegan yogurt as well as the vegan mayonnaise. If you are fine with using dairy, regular greek yogurt and mayonnaise would work very well here!
I also know that there are many mayo-haters out there, so I am here to offer an alternative! Instead of mayonnaise, use ¾ cup of dairy-free yogurt or greek yogurt, but add a bit more salt and a bit more lemon or lime juice.
Also, (I know I always say this) a healthier alternative to mayo or yogurt is my cashew cream!! Just thin it out a bit with lemon juice and make sure you salt/season well!
For the vegan colby jack cheese, feel free to replace that with any shredded vegan cheese you like! If you can't find any, it's fine to omit the cheese as well.
Vegan Mexican Street Corn Dip
- ½ Large red onion diced
- 2 15 oz. cans Whole kernel sweet corn drained
- 1 tablespoon Fresh lime juice
- 1 Jalapeno seeds and stem removed, diced
- ¼ cup Vegan yogurt
- ½ cup Vegan mayonnaise
- ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. (each) Chili powder, smoked paprika, coriander, & cumin
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 cup Vegan colby jack cheese shredded
- ⅓ cup Cilantro chopped
- Drain the cans of corn, but do not rinse
- Chop or dice the red onion, jalapeno, & cilantro.
- Juice the lime
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped red onion, corn, and jalapeno with the lime juice. Let this sit for at least 3 minutes
- Combine the remaining ingredients and mix very well
- Taste and adjust seasonings according to your preferences
- Grab some chips and enjoy!